Tips to Help You Get the Child Support Needed from Your Partner After a Divorce

Posted on: 10 March 2020

When people get married, it is with the dream that they will live happily ever after and share the responsibility of raising their children. The problem is that sometimes differences occur in the marriage, which leads to separation and divorce. In an ideal situation, separation of the parents shouldn't mean that the children will grow without the emotional and material support of one parent, but emerging trends show that many people who win the child custody case have a hard time getting the other parent to cooperate when it comes to bringing up the child. Here are a few tips that you might find useful in getting your significant other help with the bills.

Proving Fatherhood

One of the groups of people who get the worst deal when it comes to child custody and child support is women who give birth before they formalise their marriages. If you are in such a predicament, the sensible first step should be to establish paternity. If your partner denies responsibility over the child, the court can order a DNA test. When there is biological proof of paternity, enforcing child support will be easy.

Getting the Child Support Order

The second step in the process is speaking to a family lawyer or the child support office. All states have a child support office where you can access help to calculate how much each parent should contribute in supporting their child. The office closest to you will help you determine how much is set in your state, and if you can get medical cover for your child in addition to the basic or provisional child support.

Getting Help to Enforce the Order

Few parents are willingly cooperative in paying child support. One of the most effective ways to make someone oblige is getting the money out of their pay check. Most offices will help create a standing order. With the standing order, the money is deducted from the person's check and sent either to the account of the person with the child or withheld by the office for collection. This simplifies the challenges the parent has to go through to acquire the money.

These are the steps to follow when a spouse or other partner refuses to cooperate on matters related to child support. It is advisable to enlist the help of a competent attorney to assist you in finding the appropriate solution for your child custody issues. With the assistance, the process will be less stressful.